Please watch the following video (highly recommended), or follow the step by step instructions below:
This guide will show you how to install your iPad Mini LCD screen and front glass digitizer.
1. The first thing you'll need to do is to turn off the iPad Mini. The device can be powered down by holding the power button on the top and then confirming the shutdown on the screen.
2. The front glass, which is the touch sensitive digitizer, is glued on. Removal of the digitizer will require some heating prior to opening.
For the installation process, you will need the following tools:
-heat gun or hair dryer
-flat metal tool, such as a putty knife
-small phillips screwdriver
It is also recommended that you use a suction cup for keeping the aluminum edges ding-free.
3. Using the heat gun, warm up the glue on the edges of the front glass. Be consistent, ensuring that the heat is evenly distributed. If heat is applied to one spot for too long, further damage or cracking to the glass or LCD screen may occur.
4. Once the edges of the front glass have been properly warmed up, place a suction cup at the top left corner. Gently pull up on the suction cup. Doing so will expose the left edge of the digitizer enough to be able to insert a putty knife between the digitizer glass and the LCD underneath
5. Work your way around the top edge, using the putty knife to separate the digitizer from the frame. It is advised to keep applying heat from the heat gun in order to keep the glue warm.
6. After some amount of separation has occurred, place plastic strips between the front glass and the LCD so that the glue does not adhere again. It is also useful to use a plastic pick to keep the glass panel open. It is not advised to use a screwdriver in place of the plastic strips or pick - unless your glass is already broken - as further damage to the glass may occur.
7. With the top edge separated, you can now use your fingers to pull up the touch sensitive digitizer glass. Leverage the bottom edge of the glass. Continue with the separation process by applying heat using the heat gun on the left, bottom and right edges. Keep the heat gun moving, taking care not to leave the heat in one spot for too long.
9. Now we will proceed to remove the LCD panel. If your digitizer is still intact, and you will simply be replacing the original one again, hold it at no more than a 90 degree angle to the surface. If the digitizer is broken and you will be replacing it with a new one, it is not necessary to hold it up.
10. There are 4 LCD screws which will need to be removed. There is one LCD screw in each corner. The final one is obstructed by foaming insulation.
11. Using the putty knife, gently lift the LCD screen from the top, while keeping the bottom edge down.
12. A metal separator plate is secured with 16 tiny screws - 8 on each side - which will need to be removed. Start by removing the 8 identical screws from the left side, followed by 2 larger screws and then the 6 tiny screws on the right side.
14. With the metal separator plate removed, you'll see there is another smaller one under it. This smaller metal separator plate will need to be removed in order to disconnect the LCD screen and the digitizer. Remove the 3 screws from the metal separator plate.
15. Above where the metal separator plate was located, you will see there is an LCD connector, which will need to be picked open.
17. Lay down the LCD screen and you will see that it is connected via 2 pieces of black tape. Using a pick or a flat-head screwdriver, gently remove these pieces of tape, which are holding the LCD in place.
18. There is a control circuit that is glued in. You will need to remove it with a pick or flat-head screwdriver.
21. Align the glass digitizer with the bottom edge of the iPad mini, guiding it in to position and re-connecting it to the logic board.
27. The LCD screen can now be placed down on top of the metal separator. Replace the 4 screws - 1 located in each corner.
28. If you needed to replace the glass digitizer or LCD screen with new ones, you will need to remove the protective film at this point. Use a dry, lint-free cloth to remove any dirt, smudges or fingerprints from both the LCD screen and the glass digitizer.
29. After you have ensured that all surfaces are clean, place the digitizer on top of the LCD screen, checking that it is properly aligned.